We organize series of trainings for companies and interested bodies about Middle East and low-carbon know-how. Trainings take place during the years 2017-2019, detailed calendar is updated here and in “News & Events”. You may find the materials of past trainings here.
PAST EVENTS & TRAININGS
7. BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT IN THE MIDDLE EAST: LEARN THE CULTURE AND BEHAVIOUR
Time and venue: Friday 28 September 2018 at 12:30 – 16:30 (North Karelia Chamber of Commerce, Torikatu 21 C, Joensuu)
This four hours discussion workshop included both hard facts and good food, and examples from real business life. Trainer Päivi Käri-Zein is from Espoo and she has 15+ years experience in living and working in the Middle East and Gulf region. She is active in several organisations, e.g. member of the board in SAKY (Finnish-Arabic Trade Association). She has trained workers from SMEs to big corporations going to the Middle East since 1994. Päivi Käri-Zein has also written a book on Arabic countries as a Business Area. Teacher at Haaga-Helia UAS since 1996. The training is directed to companies and organizations, who need to strenghten their skills and knowledge about the Middle East business culture and behaviour.
6. NERC IN FINLAND
- Engineers Suhaib Ababneh and Nidal Abdalla of Jordanian National Energy Research Institute (NERC) visited Finland between 29 August and 1 September 2018. The program inclouded visits to Karelia University of Applied Science’s Energy Park, and to North Karelian companies specialized in renewable energy. In addition the upcoming joint renewable energy event, held in Jordan in week 41, was planned further.
From the left: Engineer Suhaib Ababneh, Specialist, and Engineer Nidal Abdalla, Head of Division
5. BUSINESS DELEGATION TRIO TO JORDAN
TIME AND VENUE: May 7 – 12, 2018, Amman Jordan
- Finnish private sector seeking partners in Jordan (Business Finland)
- Finnish business delegation sees ‘fruitful cooperation opportunities’ with Jordan (Jordan Times)
- Pakolaisia, järjestöjä, yliopistokumppaneita ja rahoittajia tapaamassa Jordaniassa (Blog, Business Finland, Developing Markets Program)
4. TOOLS TO INNOVATE NEW PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
TIME AND VENUE: Friday-Saturday 25-26 May 2018, Joensuu
Fourteen Finnish companies visited Jordan in May 2018. This business delegation trip was organized by Finpetra-project and Business Finland Developing Markets program. One of the week’s visits was to Al-Zatari refugee camp of 80,000 people, where the Foreign Ministry of the Aid is carrying out relief work. Follow-up to this trip was to organize an 24 hrs innovation workshop, PAJATHON IV, where three teams worked closely developing solutions for humanitarian purposes.
Winning team consisted of Karelia UAS exchange students with a solution to purify and heat up water in challenging conditions. Congratulations Rick, Jordie and Alexandra!
Solutions were sought in two categories:
1. natural disasters
2. man made crisis
When selecting a winning team, the following criteria were emphasized:
- Answer the real problem
Members of the jury:
Johan Ehnberg, CEO/ Molnix Oy (head of Jury)
Elisa Norvanto, R&D Communication and Project Expert /Laurea UAS
Ville Wacklin, Project manager /Finn Church Aid
Tommi Wulff, Modern Organization and Business Developer, Nordic Business Lab
Janita Ylitalo, Project Specialist, Karelia UAS
More information from Pajathon website: pajathon.fi
3. BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT IN THE MIDDLE EAST: LEARN THE CULTURE AND BEHAVIOUR / SUUNTANA LÄHI-ITÄ? TUNNE KULTTUURI JA ONNISTUT VARMASTI!
TIME AND VENUE: Friday 13 April 2018, Joensuu
Trainer : Päivi Käri-Zein, Espoo (Mc.S. International Business)
Interactive and inspiring training was targeted especially for those companies, who visited Jordan in May with our business delegation trip. Training was found very useful and a lot of discussion took place. Trainer used a lot of examples from real (business) life, and all participants could also enjoy great food from Syria. Download material here.
Trainer Päivi Käri-Zein is from Espoo and she has 15+ experience from living and working in the Middle East and Gulf region. She is active in several organisations, e.g. member of the board in SAKY (Finnish-Arabic Trade Association). She has trained workers from SMEs to big corporations going to the Middle East since 1994. Päivi Käri-Zein has also written a book on Arabic countries as a Business Area. Teacher at Haaga-Helia UAS since 1996.
2. UN PROCUREMENTS AS A POSSIBILITY – YK-KILPAILUTUKSET YRITYSTEN MAHDOLLISUUTENA
TIME AND VENUE: Tuesday 23 January 2018, Joensuu
Trainer : Terhi Rasmussen, Business Finland
Terhi Rasmussen gave a very informative and hands-on introduction about UN procurement and various UN-organisations, and how to enter these procurement processes. Companies are encouraged to contact Terhi for any questions or more information (firstname.lastname@example.org). Download training materials here.
Link to UN procurement portal:
1. INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS STRATEGIES
What is difference between good internationalization strategy and bad internationalization strategy.
25 September 2017, Prof. Toivo Äijö